www.monumentaustralia.org.au

QANTAS CairnPrint Page Print this page

QANTAS Cairn
QANTAS Cairn

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The cairn commemorates the birth of QANTAS when the first registered QANTAS office opened on this site in November 1920 by Fergus McMaster for the purposes of providing an air service between outback areas and joy flights.

The cairn lists the names of those who were signatories to the Memorandum of Association. 

The six foot high cairn has a replica of the Avro plane, the first plane used by Qantas.

Location

Address:Elderslie Street, Winton, 4735
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -22.390042
Long: 143.037988
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:16-November-1920
Actual Event End Date:16-November-1920

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:July-1965
Front Inscription

Erected by QANTAS and Winton Shire Council

July 1965.

Back Inscription

First steps in the formation of the Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited  (Q.A.N.T.A.S.) were taken in Winton when the Company registered on November 16 1920, opened its first registered office in Elderslie Street.

The signatories to the Memorandum Of Association...  True pioneers of commercial aviation in Australia ... were 

John Thompson            Brisbane
Alan W. Campbell         Brisbane
Hubert T. Weedon         Winton
Fergus McMaster          Winton
Charles J.A. Brabazon  Winton
Ainslie L. Templeton      Aramac
Paul J. McGuiness        Winton
Hudson Fysh                 Winton

 

Source: NRUM,MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design