www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Coal Memorial SitePrint Page Print this page

The memorial marks the site of the discovery of coal. The memorial was refurbished in 2012. 

In 1883, Arthur Perren laid claim to finding coal on the edge of the Collie River, about where the town of Allanson now is. The area was primarily a milling ground, but Perren leased significant areas on which to run stock. The coal deposit was originally believed to have been found by a shepherd tending Perren`s stock.

Location

Address:Ferguson Road, Allanson, 6225
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.341667
Long: 116.100278
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Link: http://stateheritage.wa.gov.au/

Dedication

Front Inscription
Plaque 1:
Coal was accidentally discovered near this site by George Marsh in 1883 while shepherding for Arthur Perren who had a pastoral lease in the area. Marsh had gathered some black ‘stones’ from the Collie River bed to contain his campfire when, to his amazement they caught alight. He was not aware of its significance but later reported the matter to Perren, who figured that it was coal and realised its importance. There was a State Government reward on offer for the discovery of usable coal that was claimed by Perren and his exploration partner, David Hay when a coal seam was discovered in the riverbank close to this site in 1890. Meanwhile, George Marsh had gone north shepherding where he died of typhoid in 1892, never knowing the significance of his find.

Plaque 2:
To The Commemoration
        Of
The Discovery Of Coal
At This Location
   In 1882-1883.

Erected By The Apex Club
After 25 Years Of Service
To The Community Of Collie.

Refurbished By Rotary Club 2012.”
 
Source: MA, HWA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design