www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Tamworth Street-Lighting PlantPrint Page Print this page

23-January-2020
23-January-2020

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The Historic Engineering Marker commemorates the first electric street lighting in Tamworth in 1888. 
 

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:216 Peel Street, Tamworth Powerstation Museum, Tamworth, 2340
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.087166
Long: 150.926909
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:09-November-1888
Actual Event End Date:09-November-1988

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription
Plaque:
HISTORIC ENGINEERING
    MARKER
  TAMWORTH
STREET- LIGHTING PLANT

On 9 November 1888 The Tamworth Borough Council Inaugurated Australia`s First Electric Street - Lghting Plant On This Site. Two 12 Horsepower Steam Engines Driving Crompton 230 Volt 18Kw Dynamos Supplied Electricity to 52 Street Lights With Carbon Filament Lamps And & Arc Lights. The System Was Installed And Officially Operated By Sydney Electrical Engineers Harrison And Whiffen, Agents For R.E. Crompton & Co. Of England. Its Success Continued Significantly To The Acceptance Of Electric Lighting In Australia. 
DEDICATED BY
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS, AUSTRALIA, 1988
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design