www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Re-opening of Cowra - Blayney Railway LinePrint Page Print this page

03-May-2017
03-May-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the re-opening of Cowra - Blayney Railway Line in April 2000.

This line extend from Blayney on the Main Western Line south-west to Demondrille on the Main South Line. It was constructed quite early in the state's history, to serve the fertile area between Blayney and Young, and also to provide a cross-country route which would allow trains to bypass the Blue Mountains to the west of Sydney.

The line was constructed north from Demondrille and then south from Blayney, with the final section being the railway bridge over the Lachlan River, just to the south of Cowra.

In the 80s services were suspended between Cowra and Blayney, however the section was re-opened by the Lachlan Valley Railway (LVR). The LVR run tourist trains, mainly from Cowra to Blayney and Canowindra, and have now moved into general freight haulage.

This section was again closed in the 1990's when a bridge near Holmwood burnt down. In December 1999 the bridge was repaired and the line re-opened officially by the Stae Rail Authority (SRA) in April 2000.

Location

Address:Lynch Street, Cowra Railway Station, Cowra, 2794
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.834457
Long: 148.700023
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Actual Event Start Date:01-November-1886
Actual Event End Date:01-November-1986

Dedication

Front Inscription

This Plaque Commemorates
The Official Re-Opening Of 
THE COWRA - BLAYNEY RAILWAY LINE
              On
Wednesday 19 April 2000
               By
THE HONOURABLE BOB CARR MP  
Premier Of New South Wales

Bruce Miller  Mayor Cowra Shire Council
Rail Access Corporation
John Davis   Mayor Blayney Shire Council

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design