www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Chapman`s PlazaPrint Page Print this page

Plaza Plaque :19-July-2015
Plaza Plaque :19-July-2015
Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole
Chapman`s Plaza was a gift to the Nairne community by George Weston Foods Ltd. and is dedicated to the employees of George Chapman's Smallgoods factory and the people of Nairne. 

In the late 19th century the Chapman’s Smallgoods Factory became a major employer in Nairne and continued to be until its closure in 2002. During the twentieth century Chapman's had a dominant role in the town. The number of Nairne employees grew to 380. Around 30% of the employees were women, mainly performing lighter work in the slicing and packaging areas. In 2002 Chapman's Smallgoods relocated to Murray Bridge and the factory was no longer required.

Location

Address:Main Road (Princes Highway), next to Institute, Nairne, 5252
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.036412
Long: 138.912526
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Front Inscription

Plaque :

This plaza was made possible by the generosity of George Weston Foods Ltd as a parting gift to the Nairne community at the closure of George Chapman`s (smallgoods factory) and is dedicated to the employees and the people of Nairne who co-existed in the past 100 years

1899 - 2001

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design