www.monumentaustralia.org.au

75th Anniversary of RadioPrint Page Print this page

27-January-2015
27-January-2015
Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
The plaque commemorates the 75th anniversary of radio in the Canberra region.  Canberra`s first radio station 2CA commenced operation on the 14th November 1931.
 
Radio broadcasting station 2 CA will be opened in Canberra on Saturday night in the presence of a representative of the Federal Government and the Canberra public. In the absence of the Minister for Home Affairs (Mr. Blakeley) the secretary of the Department of Home Affairs (Mr. F. E. Deane) will officially declare the station open. The new station has 'a wave 'length
of 285 metres 'and is ' claimed to be one of the most modern and best equipped in the Commonwealth. Trial broadcasts have been heard by listeners in all States, Norfolk Island and New Zealand. The Canberra Society of Arts and Literature and the Canberra Musical Society will contribute items the first broadcast programme.
The Canberra Times (ACT), 11 November 1931. 

Location

Address:42 Giles Street, Andrew Arcade, Kingston, 2604
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.315647
Long: 149.140506
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:14-November-1931
Actual Event End Date:14-November-2006

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 14th November, 2006
Front Inscription

Canberra`s first Radio Station
       2CA
commenced operation at this site on the 14th November 1931.

It was built and operated by A J (Jack) RYAN 
at the rear of his radio store.

This plaque was unveiled by the first employee of 2CA
GEORGE K BARLIN 
on the 14th November 2006
to mark the 75th Anniversary of Radio in the region.

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design