www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Canberra's First AerodromePrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the site of Canberra's first aerodrome.

In the 1920s the Dickson aerodrome was essentially a sheep paddock, turned over to become the national capital's first airfield.  It was originally marked on Walter Burley Griffin's plan for Canberra, and operated for a short window in 1925 and 1926, before development began for the current airport site in the Majura valley.

 

Location

Address:Dickson Place, Dickson Library, Dickson, 2602
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.248942
Long: 149.139635
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:04-March-1924
Approx. Event End Date:November-1926

Dedication

Front Inscription

Northbourne Aviation Ground

This plaque marks the site of Canberra's first aerodrome, which was declared operational on 4 March 1924. The first aviation fatality in the ACT occurred here on 26 February 1926. Aircraft operations continued at this site until November 1926 when they were transferred to a site on the western half of the present Canberra Airport.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design