www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Angus CameronPrint Page Print this page

15-August-2018
15-August-2018

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens
The memorial tablet over the grave, commemorates Angus Cameron (1847-1896), who was the Chairman of Committees of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales. 

At the Waverley Cemetery on Saturday afternoon there was unveiled a tablet in memory of the late Mr. Angus Cameron, who occupied for a lengthened period the position of Chairman of Committees in the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales.  Gathered around the grave were a number of citizens who had esteemed their departed friend. Amongst those present were Mr. Thomas Jessop, M.L.A , and Mr. P.D M'Cormick. A letter had been received from the Rev. J. Macaulay, M. A., minister of the Wesley Presbyterian Church (of which the late Mr. Cameron was a member), expressing regret that, owing to ministerial duties, he was unable to attend the ceremony. Mrs. Cameron (widow of the deceased) was present, accompanied by her two daughters.

Mr Thos. Jessop, M.L.A., in performing the ceremony said they were gathered round the grave where lay the remains of Angus Cameron, late representative of Waverley in the Parliament of New South Wales. He regarded it as an honour (as the successor of the late Mr. Cameron in the representation of Waverley) to be asked to unveil this memorial of one who had long and faithfully discharged important duties in Parliament, one who possessed in an eminent degree those qualities which fitted him to be, in the truest sense, a representative of the people of this great colony, and who for many years had enjoyed the fullest confidence of both Parliament and people. By dint of indomitable perseverance and devotion to duty the late Mr Cameron had attained one of the highest positions in Parliament which it was in the power of his colleagues to bestow. For many years he occupied with credit to himself and the Parliament of the colony the distinguished position of Chairman of Committees. The unanimous feeling of confidence in him was evinced by his oft-repeated election to that high office.  After a short respite from Parliamentary work Mr. Cameron again entered the arena of active politics. Gladly was he welcomed back to Parliament, and it was confidently anticipated that ere long he would again occupy a high position in the House. Providence ordered it otherwise, and suddenly, in January, 1896, he was withdrawn by death from his labours. The mournful procession, including all classes and creeds, which followed his remains to their last resting place, bore eloquent testimony to the highest esteem in which this good citizen and worthy representative of the people was held. Mr. Jessop then briefly alluded to the history of the movement inaugurated by Mr. P D. M'Cormick and Dr. M. Mathieson. J. P., for the purpose of erecting a suitable memorial. The work had been satisfactorily accomplished. Mr. Jessep then unveiled the tablet, and said that in the late Mr Cameron they had lost one whose patriotism was undoubted, and whose public services were worthy of enduring remembrance.

Mr. P. D. M'Cormick said he had to thank Mr. Jessop for unveiling that slight memento of an esteemed friend. The movement was set on foot by Dr. Mathieson and himself, and it was eminently satisfactory that the result had enabled them to perpetuate the memory of one whom they all esteemed. He desired to acknowledge the kindness of those who had contributed and the great interest in the movement evinced by Messrs R. Parkhill and Son, who had rendered material assistance.


The grave is situated near that of the late Mr. C. A. Goodchap, M.L C, and just "opposite the "98 memorial " now being erected in what is known as the " general " portion of the cemetery. The memorial is in the form of a tablet of freestone with marble panels, and surmounted by a marble head-piece, and bears the following inscription :-" In memoriam. Angus Cameron, MLA, Born at Edinburgh, Scotland , died at Sydney, Australia, January 20, 1896. aged 48 years. The summons came suddenly, 'Be ye also ready."  The grave itself is arranged with black and white marble chips, and is surrounded by freestone kerbing. The monumental work, which is of unique design, reflects credit upon the contractors, Messrs R. Parkhill and Son. 
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 6 March 1899.

Location

Address:St Thomas & Trafalgar Streets, Presbyterian Section, Waverley Cemetery, Bronte, 2024
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.907222
Long: 151.264167
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Grave
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Monument Manufacturer:R. Parkhill & Sons
Link:http://adb.anu.edu.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 4th March, 1899
Front Inscription

In Memoriam
ANGUS CAMERON 
      M.L.A.
Born at Edinburgh  Scotland
Died at Sydney
26th January 1896
Aged 48 years.

 

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design