Pioneer Memorial GardenPrint Page Print this page

21-April-2021 (Andrew Gaczol)
21-April-2021 (Andrew Gaczol)

Photographs supplied by John Huth / Andrew Gaczol

The garden was erected to commemorate the Lutheran refugees who pioneered the establishment of Klemzig, the first ethnic village in South Australia.

The first group of 21 Lutherans arrived on the Bengalee  on 18 November 1838 followed two days later by the main group on the Prince George.  They arrived on 20 November with Pastor August Ludwig Christian Kavel who brought a much larger group of migrants to South Australia. They all came to escape religious persecution at home, and Kavel settled them at Klemzig, named after their home town in Prussia, with the help of George Fife Angas.

Note : As at 27 December 2020 the plaque on the memorial is missing.

The people of Klemzig in Germany will remember those of Klemzig, South Australia, in a special broadcast arranged for Saturday, August 29. On that day His Excellency the Governor (Sir Winston Dugan) will unveil a memorial, which has been built in the cemetery, to the German pioneers who came from the village of Klemzig, in Brandenburg to South Australia under Pastor August Kavel in 1836. The monument, which is of Murray Bridge granite and is about seven feet in height, has been erected jointly by the German-Australian Centenary committee, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church. It is expected that about 1,500 people will be present from the German-Australian community throughout the State.

Before the unveiling of the monument, the Governor and Lady Dugan will plant two trees at the entrance of the avenue leading to the cemetery reserve.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 20 August 1936.



Address:Spring Grove, Klemzig Memorial Gardens , Klemzig, 5087
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.883236
Long: 138.643313
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:18-November-1838
Actual Event End Date:20-November-1838


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 29th August, 1936
Front Inscription

This monument was erected to perpetuate the memory of the Lutheran pilgrim fathers who, seeking religious freedom, came to South Australia under the leadership of Pastor August Kavel on November 20, 1838.

They settled here, giving their village the name Klemzig after their old home in Germany. This ground was their God`s acre, where many were laid to their last rest.

Erected by the Lutherans of Australia and the German Australian Centenary Committee, unveiled by His Excellency the Governor of South Australia, Sir Winston Dugan, on August 29 1936.

"Wer Mich Bekennet Vor Den Menshen Den Will Ich Bekennen Vor Meinem Himmlischen Vater"  Matth, 10, 32

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design