Pioneers of TasmaniaPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The monument commemorates the pioneer settlers of Tasmania who arrived before 1835.

Vice-regal and civic receptions, a ball to be attended in period costume, and an assemblage in the City Park, are proposed as the principal features of the pioneer celebrations which are being organised by the 50,000 League at Launceston, with the object of perpetuating the memory of settlers who arrived In Tasmania between 1804 and 1834. It is suggested, also, that a portion of the City Park be set aside, to be known as the Pioneers' Corner, with a brass tablet, in commemoration, and it is believed that the City Council has agreed to make available part of the City Park for that purpose. The reason for selecting that part ls that Government House once stood on the area.
The Mercury, (Hobart), 25th January 1935.

Note : The Launceston Fifty Thousand League was a non-political, non-sectarian booster organisation established in Launceston in 1926 by leading citizens. Its goal was to boost Launceston's population to 50,000 and promote the growth and development of Launceston specifically and Tasmania generally. It was governed by a council and executive and met weekly to hear guest speakers enthuse and stimulate members.



Address:Tamar Street, City Park, Launceston, 7250
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.433105
Long: 147.142435
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 6th April, 1935
Front Inscription

To the memory of the Pioneers of Tasmania who arrived before 1835.

This ground was dedicated in the presence of their descendants by His Excellency, the Governor of Tasmania, Sir Ernest Clark, K.C.B., C.B.E.

6th April, 1935.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design