www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Matthew Flinders ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

Matthew Flinders Rest Area  Oct 2012
Matthew Flinders Rest Area Oct 2012

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The cairn and rest area commemorate the site near where Matthew Flinders camped on the 26th and 27th July 1799.

The original plaque was erected by members of the Royal Historical Society of Queensland and unveiled by the Speaker of the Queensland Parliament, Mr D.E. Nicholson M.L.A on the 27th July 1963. The plaque was missing from the cairn when images were taken by Monument Australia in 2012. 

The rest area has since been redeveloped, the original rest area sign removed and a new plaque has been placed on the cairn which has been resited. 

Lieutenant (later Captain) Matthew Flinders was the first explorer to enter Glass House Bay (now Moreton Bay). Having left Sydney on 8 July 1799 in HM Sloop Norfolk he reached Cape Moreton on 14 July. For two weeks he explored the bay and its environs.

He hiked to the Glasshouse Mountains, climbing Beerburrum and visiting the foot of Tibrogargan. Apart from his initial skirmish with the natives, he found them to be friendly, and described their achievements with respect and admiration.

 

Location

Address:Steve Irwin Way , Matthew Flinders Rest Area, Beerburrum, 4517
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.938757
Long: 152.955757
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th July, 1963
Front Inscription

Plaque:
1799 FLINDERS EXPEDITION
...a stream of water induced us to
stop for the night, the sun being then
below the trees. At seven in the
morning we were under the steep cliffs
of the flat top peak ...
... the steepness of the cliffs, utterly 
forbad all idea of ascending to the top...

(Extract from Flinders Diary)

Having already climbed Mt Beerburrum it is near this site ion 26 July 1799 Lt. Matthew Flinders R.N., together with his aboriginal guide Bongaree and two seaman, camped overnight by Tibrogargan Creek. The group had also intended to climb Mt Tibrogargan but upon viewing its steepness, returned instead to Flinders` ship the "Norfolk."   

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design