www.monumentaustralia.org.au

European Discovery of TasmaniaPrint Page Print this page

(Diane Watson)
(Diane Watson)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Arthur Garland / Peter F Williams

The plaque commemorates the 350th anniversary of the European discovery of Tasmania by Abel Tasman in 1642.

On 24 November 1642 Abel Tasman sighted the west coast of Tasmania, north of Macquarie Harbour. He named his discovery Van Diemen's Land after Antonio van Diemen, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies. Proceeding south he skirted the southern end of Tasmania and turned north-east, Tasman then tried to work his two ships into Adventure Bay on the east coast of South Bruny Island where he was blown out to sea by a storm, this area he named Storm Bay.

Two days later Tasman anchored to the North of Cape Frederick Hendrick just North of the Forestier Peninsula. Tasman then landed in Blackman Bay – in the larger Marion Bay. The next day, an attempt was made to land in North Bay; however, because the sea was too rough the carpenter swam through the surf and planted the Dutch flag in North Bay. Tasman then claimed formal possession of the land on 3 December 1642.

Location

Address:Driffield Street, Railway Car Park, Queenstown, 7467
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.078784
Long: 145.555467
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event Start Date:24-November-1642
Actual Event End Date:24-November-1992

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th November, 1992
Front Inscription

QUEENSTOWN
ABEL TASMAN FESTIVAL 
350th ANNIVERSARY

In Commemoration Of The Discovery
Of Tasmania By
ABEL JANZOON TASMAN
1642 - 1992

Officially Opened By
The Hon. Robin Gray, M. H. A.
Minister For Primary Industry,
Fisheries & Energy

29th November, 1992

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design