www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain George VancouverPrint Page Print this page

A cairn commemorates the landing of Captain George Vancouver. It was constructed in 1972 by the Albany Historical Society to mark the place where Captain George Vancouver claimed the southwest of Western Australia for Britain in 1791 and named many of the geographic features of the King George Sound district. In so doing, Vancouver ensured that the whole of Australia would be under British control.

Two commemorative plaques have been attached to the cairn. The Shire and Town of Albany placed the ‘Vancouver Bicentenary’ plaque to a stone tablet leaning against the north cairn wall, to commemorate the bicentenary of Vancouver’s act of possession, on 29th September 1991. The ‘Quaranup/Point Possession Trail’ interpretative plaque is located against the south wall.

In 1791, Captain George Vancouver, on his way to America, came to the southern shore, and found and named King George`s Sound. He landed and examined the country, but saw nothing of any consequence, and, after a short stay, sailed away to the eastward, intending to follow the coast line, but was prevented by baffling winds.

Location

Address:Possession Point, Vancouver Peninsula, Albany, 6330
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.042222
Long: 117.921389
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Approx. Event Start Date:October-1791
Approx. Event End Date:October-1791
Monument Manufacturer:Albany Historical Society
Link:http://stateheritage.wa.gov.au/

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1972
Source: MA, HWA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design