www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Charles Sturt ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

13-August-2020
13-August-2020
Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Sturt Memorial Cairn, erected in 1944, ommemorates the centenary of the expedition to Central Australia led by Captain Charles Sturt in 1844.

In 1843 Charles Sturt offered to lead an expedition into Central Australia and eventually permission was granted for an expedition that should 'ascertain the existence and character of that range running from the north-east to the south-west, to examine the rivers rising in it, and to observe the general appearance of the country towards the north-west'.  Sturt decided to use a route that followed the Murray and Darling River, thereby avoiding the barrier of Lake Torrens which appeared to arc in a great horseshoe barring the way north.

His party consisted of James Poole, Dr J Harris Browne, John McDouall Stuart, Louis Piesse, Daniel Brock, George Davenport, Joseph Cowley, Robert Flood, D Morgan, J Jones, Turpin, W Lewis, H Foulkes, J Mack, J Kirby, and R Sullivan.  Equipment included a boat for travelling on the inland sea that Sturt still hoped to find, and a flock of 200 sheep - meat on the hoof.  Edward Eyre accompanied them in the early stages of their journey. The party left Adelaide on the 10th August 1844.

On August 10, 1844, Sturt's carefully selected and well equipped expedition set out from Adelaide to explore the hitherto unknown interior of Australia. This year, places along the route from Adelaide to beyond the Queensland border are planning to commemorate the centenary of that great expedition and to honor the memory of the first white men to pass through their district. From the Royal Geographical Society (South Australian branch) information has been received about arrangements being made in the various centres.

The president of the Royal Geographlcal Society (Mr. Hambidge), accompanied by Mrs. Hambidge and a number of fellow members will leave Adelaide on a pilgrimage to participate in the unveiling ceremonies between Gawler and Renmark. The places visited will be Gawler, Daveyston, Light Pass, Nurioopta, Truro, Angaston, Koonunga, Morgan, Barmera,  Renmark. Barrier Daily Truth (Broken Hill, NSW), 12 August 1944.

Mr C. E. A. Bode (sec.) said this week that the memorial to Capt. Sturt at Truro would be unveiled on September 16, at 2.30pm. It takes the form of a cairn, to which is attached an inscribed bronze plaque similar to those being prepared in other district centres through which the explorer passed on his expedition to Centralia. Mr L. Miller (chairman), members of the District Council. Mr A. V. Dellow and Truro residents are on the committee, and funds are being raised in the district to meet the cost.
Leader (Angaston, SA), 7 September 1944.

Location

Address:Moorundie Street (Sturt Highway) , Truro, 5356
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.40746
Long: 139.123371
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 16th September, 1944
Front Inscription

Captain Charles Sturt

Central Australian Exploring Expedition passed through this District

17 August 1844

The principal discovered the Barrier and Grey Ranges, Cooper and Eyre Creeks.

Erected 1944.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design