www.monumentaustralia.org.au

George Bass & Matthew FlindersPrint Page Print this page

18-April-2019 (John Huth)
18-April-2019 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Sandra Brown / John Huth

The monument commemorates George Bass for his exploration and naming of Western Port, and Bass and Matthew Flinders for their successful voyage in the sloop Norfolk in 1798 through the Bass Strait and around Tasmania.

It was unveiled in 1912 by Governor Sir John Fuller, with Captain Chambers, RN, Mr. F. Tate (Director of Education), and Mr M. M. Phillips (President of the Australian Natives Association).

Doctor James Barrett expressed hope that the memorial would be ultimately replaced by an artistic monument more worthy of those gallant spirits whom they were honouring.

Colonel Watson has prepared plans and specifications for the memorial to be erected at Flinders, Westernport (Vic), in memory of Bass and Flinders. The memorial consists of a stone pyramid, 20ft. high, on which is to be placed a tablet containing references to the famous voyages of Bass and Flinders. A detailed description of these voyages will be kept in the local library and State school, together with a map specially prepared showing the routes.
Daily News (Perth), 15 April 1912.

Location

Address:The Esplanade & Cook Street, Flinders, 3929
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.474719
Long: 145.023854
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Approx. Event Start Date:1798
Approx. Event End Date:1798
Designer:Colonel Watson

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1912
Front Inscription

In commemoration of the discovery and naming of Western Port by Surgeon George Bass
January 4, 1798.

And the passage of Bass Strait, the same year by him and Lieut. Matthew Flinders 
(Both of HMS Reliance)

Erected by the people of Flinders
Assisted by the National Parks Association

1912

Plaque :

In recognition of a brave adventure

On January 5, 1998 five men Bert Cuthbertson (skipper), Tom O`Byrne (First Mate), Craig Dixon, Rick McMahon and Geoff Zwar landed in Flinders after four weeks at sea having rowed and sailed from Darling Hrbour Sydney in the `Elizabeth`, a nine metre whale boat.

This voyage re-enacted the discovery and naming of Western Port by Royal Navy surgeon George Bass and his crew of five in 1798. 

Unveiled by Councillor David G. Jarman
Mayor of the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
Erected by the Bass Re-enactment Committee
Sir Peter Derham, CScJ, Chairman

Source: MA,MED
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design