www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Matthew Flinders ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

14-March-2019
14-March-2019

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The memorial commemorates the discovery of Kangaroo Island and the naming of Prospect Hill by Matthew Flinders in 1802. 

On 23 March 1802, British explorer Matthew Flinders, commanding HMS Investigator, named the land "Kanguroo" (sic) Island due to the endemic subspecies of the western grey kangaroo, Macropus fuliginosus fuliginosus, after landing near Kangaroo Head on the north coast of the  Dudley Peninsula. The hill was named Prospect Hill when Matthew Flinders was exploring southern Australia in 1802. He rowed to the end of Pelican Lagoon and walked to the top of the hill to view more of the island.

Location

Address:Hog Bay Road & Muston Road , Kangaroo Island, Dudley West, 5222
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.843333
Long: 137.753881
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event Start Date:21-March-1802

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:April-1948
Front Inscription

Matthew Flinders R.N.
(1774 - 1814)
Commander Of H. M. Sloop "Investigator"
Discovered And On 4 April 1802 Named Prospect
Hill From Which He Was The First To Sight
Portion Of South Coast Of Kangaroo Island.
The Hidden Lagoon At Head Of Eastern Cove
Was Named Pelican Lagoon On Account
Of The Large Number Of Birds And
Skeletons Of That Species Being Seen.
Unveiled Pioneers Day April 1948.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design