www.monumentaustralia.org.au

European Discovery of Table Cape by Matthew FlindersPrint Page Print this page

22-January-2017
22-January-2017

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The monument commemorates the European discovery and naming of Table Cape by Matthew Flinders and George Bass in 1798; and the proclamation of Wynyard in 1861. 

Bass and Flinders discovered and entered the Tamar River on November 3, 1798. They spent seventeen days sounding and charting the river upstream as far as Swan Point. Flinders' charts of the area are an excellent example of his brilliance as a chart maker. As they sailed west Flinders named the obvious headlands, Table Cape, Circular Head and Three Hummock Island.

Location

Address:Inglis & Goldie Streets, Wynyard, 7325
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -40.989935
Long: 145.724448
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th March, 1961
Front Inscription

To Commemorate The Discovery Of
    TABLE CAPE
 By Matthew Flinders
Surgeon George Bass in 1798
Proclamation Of Wynyard  22.  2.  1861

Unveiled By Minister for Tourists  
Hon. A. C. Atkins M. H. A. 
 25. 3. 1961

L. H. Bauld  Warden

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design