www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles SturtPrint Page Print this page

15-January-2017
15-January-2017

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The Memorial commemorates Captain Charles Sturt`s exploration of the River Murray in 1830.

Captain Charles Sturt and his crew rowed a whale boat down the river in 1830 to see where the westward flowing river went. They explored the large river which was named River Murray by Captain Sturt.  Where Sturt Reserve is now is where the party camped on the 8th of February 1830. The group was disappointed when they reached the mouth of the river as they saw it would be too difficult for ships to navigate because of the sandbars and the unpredictable Southern Ocean.

Rowing against the current, Sturt’s crew wearily returned. His report suggested the Murray Valley ideal for settlement.

Location

Address:Sturt Street, Sturt Reserve, Murray Bridge, 5254
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.119848
Long: 139.283622
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event Start Date:08-February-1830
Actual Event End Date:08-February-1830

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th January, 1930
Front Inscription

Erected 1930
By Citizens Of
Murray Bridge
To Commemorate The
Voyage Of Discovery
Of River By
Captain Charles Sturt
Who Passed Here
On The
8th February 1830

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design