www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Bicentenary of Captain James Cook`s Landing (Camellia Gardens) Print Page Print this page

14-April-2015
14-April-2015

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The E. G. Waterhouse National Camellia Gardens were constructed by the Sutherland Shire Council in co-operation with the Australian Camellia Research Society and the Sutherland Shire Orchid Society to commemorate the bicentenary of Captain Cook's landing at Kurnell in 1770.

The garden was named after Professor E.G. Waterhouse an acknowledged world authority on the camellia. The first plantings in the garden commenced in 1969. 

Kurnell is considered to be ‘the birthplace of modern Australia’, as it is the place where Captain James Cook landed on 29 April 1770, making first contact with the original inhabitants of the area, the Gweagal Aborigines whilst navigating his way up the East Coast of Australia on Endeavour. Captain Cook along with his crew stayed at Kurnell for a period of eight days. During their visit they collected botanical specimens, mapped the area and tried to make contact (unsuccessfully) with the indigenous population. When Cook reported back to England he said that the land was suitable for agriculture and was lightly wooded.

Captain James Cook claimed the whole of the east coast of Australia for Great Britain on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia, 'New South Wales.'

 

Location

Address:President Avenue & Kareena Road, E. G. Waterhouse National Camellia Gardens, Caringbah South, 2229
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.042147
Long: 151.11212
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Approx. Event Start Date:1770
Approx. Event End Date:1970

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th July, 1970
Front Inscription

 E. G. Waterhouse
National Camellia Garden

Constructed By
The Sutherland Shire Council
In Co-Operation With
The Australian Camellia Research Society 
The Sutherland Shire Orchid Society
To Commemorate The Bi-Centenary Of
Captain James Cooks Landing
At Kurnell And Named After
Professor E. G. Waterhouse
An Acknowledged World Authority On The Camellia

This Garden Was Officially Opened By
Lady Butler 
Wife Of The Governor Of New South Wales
On The 18th July, 1970
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design