The Kings Cup Print Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the crew of the Australian Imperial Force which won the Kings Cup held between crews of the Allied Forces at the Royal Henley Peace Regatta in 1919. The unveiling of the plaque was completed by Colonel Richard Mallet of the Armed Services and the President of RNSW,  Mr. Ivan Adlam.

After the Australian Imperial Expeditionary Force eight won the King's Cup at the Royal Henley Peace Regatta at Henley-on-Thames in July 1919, a petition was raised to the King George V to return the cup to Australia.

Ted Kenny, the Secretary of the Victorian Rowing Association drew up the petition, which was signed by the stroke of the crew Clive Disher on 30 October 1920 and was presented to King George V.  The point of the petition was that the Trophy should not sit in the War Trophies Museum in perpetuity, and their desire that the Cup should be treated as a perpetual trophy to be competed for annually in the Interstate Eight-oar Race held in the various States of the Commonwealth, such Race being the eight-oar Championship of Australia. The petition was successful and the cup was presented to Clive Disher and Ted Kenny by the Minister for Home and Territories Mr Poynton on 29 July, 1921.

Note : The plaque has an error in that "No. 7 Gnr G Nettam West Aust. RC WA" should have the correct name of "Mettam".  



Address:Old Castlereagh Road , Sydney International Regatta Centre , Castlereagh , 2749
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.723315
Long: 150.671465
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:July 1919
Approx. Event End Date:July 1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th February, 2013
Front Inscription

The Kings Cup
Royal Henley Peace Regatta
July 1919

Won by the Australian Force No 1. eight oared crew for competition between crews from armies of Allied forces following cessation of activity in the Great War 1914 - 1919

Bow Sgt A Robb Derwent RC TAS                     No 5. Lt H Hauenstein MM Leichardt/ Balmain RC NSW
No 2 Lt F House Derwent RC TAS                     No.6  Maj S Middleton DSO Glebe/ Sydney RC NSW
No.3 Lt T McGill Leichardt RC NSW                  No. 7 Gnr G Nettam (sic) West Aust. RC WA
No.4 Gnr A Scott Murray Bridge RC SA            No. 8 Capt C Disher MUBC VIC
Coxswain Sgt A Smedley Sydney RC NSW
Coaches LtCol N Marshall DSC MC and Lt H Ross Soden

Following a petition from the Victorian Rowing Association 1920 and with the gracious concurrence of His Majesty King George V May 1921, now presented as a perpetual trophy competed for annually in the interstate eight oared race of Australia

Erected by NSW Rowing Association
17th February 2013

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design