www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sisters of St Joseph of the ApparitionPrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the Centenary of the arrival in Northam of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition on the 1st May, 1889.

It was not until May 1889 that the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Apparition founded an establishment in Northam to cater for the education of the children and adults, the Parish actually established separately. The Sisters chosen for the foundation in Northam were, Sr Columbia Jordan, in charge who came from Malta, and two companions, Sr Gertrude Campbell and Sr Joseph Collins, with two young laywomen Miss Smith and Miss Moran. The first residence was a shop front opposite the current Convent- administration building in Wellington Street.

Location

Address:Wellington Street, St Joseph`s School, Northam, 6401
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.654814
Long: 116.672373
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:01-May-1889
Actual Event End Date:01-May-1989

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1989
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design