www.monumentaustralia.org.au

The Redemptorists of St Alphonsus WaratahPrint Page Print this page

23-December-2019
23-December-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The cross commemorates members of the monastry of the Redemptorists of St Alphonsus in Waratah who are buried in the cemetery.

The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer commonly known as the Redemptorists, is a religious congregation of the Catholic Church, dedicated to missionary work and founded by Alphonsus Liguori at Scala, near Amalfi, Italy, for the purpose of labouring among the neglected country people around Naples. Members of the congregation are Catholic priests and consecrated religious brothers and ministers in more than 100 countries.

The first house established was in Singleton, New South Wales, but during the summer heat missions were conducted in the cooler climate of New Zealand's dioceses. As Singleton was an unsuitable base, the community oversaw the building of a new monastery at Mount St Alphonsus, Waratah, New South Wales. It was opened on the founder's feast, 1887, just five years after the Redemptorists' arrival. 

 

Location

Address:Maitland Road , Sandgate Cemetery, Sandgate, 2304
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.869167
Long: 151.706111
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Cross
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1901
Front Inscription

Erected in memory of the deceased

Redemptorists of St Alphonsus Waratah

By the people frequenting their church

A. D. 1901.

 

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design