www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St John`s RestorationPrint Page Print this page

13-August-2019
13-August-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
This plaque commemorates the restoration of St John`s Church and marks 150 years since the arrival of Bishop James Murray and the establishment of St John`s as the first cathedral in the diocese. 

Location

Address:Cathedral Street, St John the Baptist Catholic Chapel, Maitland, 2320
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.733738
Long: 151.558926
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 6th November, 2016
Front Inscription

St John`s Shrine

The foundation stone for this church was laid on another site in Maitland by Bishop John Bede Polding OSB, Vicar Apostolic of New Holland on 8 October 1840. 

The project was relocated to this site and St John`s Church opened on 8 November 1846.  It has served as a parish church, Cathedral, hall and school rooms at various times, until the building was closed in 2010 due to its deteriorated condition. 

This plaque commemorates St John`s restoration and dedication to sacred use by Most  Rev William Wright Bishop of Maitland - Newcastle on 6th November, 2016 to mark 150 years since the arrival of Bishop James Murray as first resident Bishop of Maitland and his establishment of St John`s as the first cathedral of the Diocese. 
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design