www.monumentaustralia.org.au

200th Anniversary of the First Official Wesley Chapel in AustraliaPrint Page Print this page

04-August-2019
04-August-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the first official Wesley Chapel in Australia. 

Rum Corps soldier turned pastoralist, John Lees, donated the land on which the first Wesleyan Church in Australia was built in 1817. He is buried in the Cemetery which dates from 1836. The adjoining weatherboard Hall (1864) housed the Wesleyan school which was established by 1840 and operated until the Upper Castlereagh school opened opposite in 1887.

 

Location

Address:297-305 Old Castlereagh Road, Uniting Church, Castlereagh, 2749
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.720267
Long: 150.666903
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:07-October-1817
Actual Event End Date:07-October-2017

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th October, 2017
Front Inscription

   TO THE GLORY OF GOD

    This plaque commemorates 
       The 200th anniversary of 
The first official Wesleyan Chapel in Australia 
       On the 7th October 1817. 

Unveiled by representative of the Lees Family
            In the presence of 
            Mr Stuart McMillan 
The President of the Uniting Church in Australia.
          8th October 2017. 


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design