www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Bush Brotherhood of Saint AndrewPrint Page Print this page

31-May-2019
31-May-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The centenary garden commemorates the founding of the first Australian Bush Brotherhood of Saint Andrew at Longreach on the 14th September, 1897. 

The Bush Brotherhood was a group of Anglican religious orders providing itinerant priests to minister to sparsely-settled rural districts in Australia. They were described as a "band of men" who could "preach like Apostles" and "ride like cowboys."

The St Andrew's Bush Brotherhood was established in 1897 in Longreach, Queensland, by the Bishop of Stepney, Canon Body and the Bishop of Rockhampton, Nathaniel Dawes. The first group of brothers was led by the Reverend George Halford.

Location

Address:150 Emu Street, Saint Andrew`s Anglican Church, Longreach, 4730
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.444342
Long: 144.245359
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:14-September-1897
Actual Event End Date:14-September-1997

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1997
Front Inscription

Plaque:

1997

Centenary Garden

Commemorating the founding of the first Australian Bush Brotherhood of Saint Andrew at Longreach

Holy Cross Day, 14th September, 1897
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design