www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer Catholics of AlburyPrint Page Print this page

20-March-2018
20-March-2018

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams

The plaque commemorates the faith, foresight and generosity of the pioneer Catholics of the area who commenced the building of the church in 1870. The western end of the church, completed in 1979, is a tribute to the faith of the present parishioners. 

Location

Address:Smollett & Olive Streets, St Patrick`s Church , Albury, 2640
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.08321
Long: 146.917117
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:1870
Actual Event End Date:1979

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th November, 1979
Front Inscription
TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE FAITH, FORESIGHT AND GENEROSITY OF THE PIONEER CATHOLICS OF THIS AREA, WHO LED BY MICHAEL McALROY, P.P.V.G. COMMENCED THIS BUILDING IN 1870. IT ALSO REMEMBERS THOSE WHO FOR OVER 100 YEARS HAVE FOUND JOY IN WORSHIP, COMFORT IN PRAYER AND STRENGTH IN THE SACRAMENTS RECEIVED HERE ....AND THE WESTERN END, COMPLETED IN 1979, IS A TRIBUTE TO THE FAITH OF THE PRESENT PARISHIONERS,

PRAY THAT THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THIS PARISH WILL LIKE THE CHURCH THEY HAVE BUILT BE A STRONG WITNESS TO HIS PRESENCE IN THE MIDST OF THEIR COMMUNITY. 
                 BLESSED BY

THE MOST REV. FRANCIS P. CARROLL, D.D., D.C.L.
BISHOP OF WAGGA WAGGA ON 25TH NOVEMBER 1979
JOHN D.LANE P.P.V.G.

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design