www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Albury Methodist Church Diamond JubileePrint Page Print this page

10-February-2018
10-February-2018

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams

The foundation stones of the former Methodist Sunday School building were laid in 1925 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the church. 

The jubilee celebratlons of the Albury Methodist Church began on Saturday, when the foundation stones of the new Sunday school building were laid. One was laid by Mrs. J.H. Palmer, of Bungowannah, and the other by Rev. Harold Wheen, president of the N.S.W. Methodist Conference. One of the stones was presented by Miss Moffat, of Adelaide, whose mother (Mrs.Hugh Moffatt) laid the foundation stone of the old building.  An appeal realised £136. A jubilee tea was followed by a receptlon to Mr. Wheen, who occupied the Methodist pulpit on Sunday. Three people (Mrs. J. Colquhoun, Mrs. Luhrs and Mrs. John Sharp senr.) who were present at the laying of the foundation stone 60 years ago, attended the service. 
Daily Express (Wagga Wagga, NSW), 25 November 1925.

Location

Address:Olive & Swift Streets, Former Methodist Sunday School building, Albury, 2640
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.079127
Long: 146.91839
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:1865
Actual Event End Date:1925

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 21st November, 1925
Front Inscription

Plaque:

THIS WING IS THE FIRST 
METHODIST CHURCH BUILDING,
THE FOUNDATION STONE 
OF WHICH WAS LAID BY 
Mrs HUGH MOFFITT 
30th AUGUST 1865
DIAMOND JUBILEE 1925

Plaque:
LAID BY
Rev. H.WHEEN
PRESIDENT
N.S.W.CONFERENCE 
21. NOV. 1925


Plaque:
TO SERVE GOD 
BY HELPING CHILDREN.
LAID BY

Mrs J.H.PALMER
21. NOV. 1925


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design