www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lutheran Pioneer SettlersPrint Page Print this page

05-April-2018
05-April-2018

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The monument commemorates the Lutheran pioneer settlers who left Germany to seek religious freedom in Australia.

Location

Address:Ballarat Road & Hiller Lane, Pastoral Museum, Hamilton, 3300
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.743417
Long: 142.051001
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1975
Front Inscription

This cairn was erected in grateful memory of Lutheran pioneer settlers who, from 1838 left Germany to seek religious freedom in Australia.

In 1853 they bought land in the area and in 1854 built a church of wood and clay with thatched roof, where Pastor C. W. Schurmann conducted a school and the first church services.

The present brick church was dedicated on 3rd October 1861 during the ministry of Pastor M. Goethe and was last used for worship services in 1966.

Erected 1975.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design