www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St John`s Church Foundation StonePrint Page Print this page

16-November-2017
16-November-2017

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

The tablet commemorates the site of the original foundation stone of the church.

The Governor (Sir Philip Game) and Lady Game were present at the official thanksgiving service held in St. John's Church of England, Balmain, to mark the anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the church. His Excellency subsequently unveiled a tablet which marked the site of the original foundation-stone laid by Dean Cowper in 1882. His Excellency, who was received by a guard of honour formed by Scouts and Cubs, was officially welcomed by the Mayor of Balmain (Alderman Swan). Sir Philip Game said there were churches and cathedrals in the Empire that could claim more architectural beauty and decoration than St. John's, but the real value of a church did not lie in bricks and mortar, stone, marble, and brass, but in the human element, and from the little he had seen that day he was quite sure that that value attached to their church. He could see it in the beautiful way it was decorated, in the singing, and the size and enthusiasm of the congregation, and he thanked them for the privilege of being present and unveiling the tablet. Several parishioners who were on the membership roll when the church was erected were then introduced to his Excellency and Lady Game.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW ), 15 June 1931.

Location

Address:Birchgrove Road & Spring Street, St John`s Anglican Church, Birchgrove, 2041
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.852617
Long: 151.179425
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 14th June, 1931
Front Inscription

This Tablet
Was Unveiled
On June 14th 1931
       By
His Excellency
Air Vice Marshal
Sir Philip W. Game,
G.B.E. K.C.B. D.S.O.
Governor Of N.S.W.
To Mark The Site
Of The Original
Foundation Stone
     Laid By
Very Rev Dean Cowper
Feb 4th 1882.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design