www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Golden Jubilee of Concordia CollegePrint Page Print this page

28-December-2016
28-December-2016

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A time capsule commemorates the Golden Jubilee of Concordia College from 1946 to 1996. The time capsule is to be opened in 2046. 

The official opening of Concordia College was on 10 February 1946, coincidentally on the 400th anniversary of Martin Luther's death. 'Concordia' in Latin means agreement, unity and harmony.

Professor Rudolph Altus MA was Concordia College’s first Principal and through great courage and faith secured excellent teachers, buildings and equipment despite war-time constraints.

The original 27 scholars, 23 of whom were boarders, were largely German Lutherans who had settled on the Darling Downs. Family names of Uebergang, Schumann, Schultz, Temme, Huf and Reinbott attest to German origins.

The College colours were brown and gold like its sister school and seminary in Adelaide. Teaching staff selected the motto Nisi Dominus Frustra - Without the Lord, all is in vain and designed the school badge.

 

 

 

Location

Address:154 Stephen Street, Concordia College, Harristown, 4350
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.573292
Long: 151.929794
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1946
Approx. Event End Date:1996

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 18th February, 1996
Front Inscription

A Time Capsule Is Contained Herein

It Was Sealed On
Sunday, February 18, 1996
Commemorating Our Golden Jubilee
To Be Opened In The Year 2046

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design