www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Foundation of the Brotherhood of St LaurencePrint Page Print this page

27-March-2016
27-March-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The stained glass window commemorates the foundation of the Brotherhood of St Laurence on this site in 1930. 

Father Tucker was to become one of the towering figures in the Anglican Church of Australia, beginning with his establishment at S.Stephen’s in 1930 of the Brotherhood of St.Laurence. The Brotherhood was founded as a male religious order of the Anglican Church, its members pledging to remain unmarried while part of the Brotherhood, to live frugally and to practise an active community life.

Its members included priests and lay brothers. Notable among the four original members was the Reverend Guy Colman Cox, who shared Father Tucker’s dream of a community of serving priests, and who died suddenly in 1937 at the tragically young age of 32. 

Location

Address:Brunker Road, S. Stephen`s Church, Adamstown , 2289
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.932969
Long: 151.726635
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:08-December-1930
Actual Event End Date:08-December-1930

Dedication

Front Inscription

The Poor Are The
Treasurers Of The
Church

To The Glory Of God, And In Commemoration Of
  The Foundation Of
The Brotherhood Of St Laurence
On This Site, 8th Dec. 1930
Co Founder Father G. K. Tucker.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design