www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St Thomas` Centenary Garden Print Page Print this page

10-April-2016
10-April-2016

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A garden commemorates the centenary of the parish and honours the memory of Dean Jeremiah O'Leary, the Augustinians and the founding parishioners of the church.

The man chosen as parish priest of the Parish of Coorparoo and Ipswich Road was Rev Jeremiah O'Leary. For twelve months previously he had administered the Parish of St Patrick in Fortitude Valley. Father O'Leary (later Dean O'Leary) was to serve out his ministry in this parish and was the parish's only parish priest before the arrival of the Augustinians in 1952.

Father O'Leary took up the position as parish priest on 17 March 1913. A fundraising meeting had been chaired by the Archbishop on 16 March; a committee was formed and decided to build a Catholic school that would also be used as a church; the foundation stone was then laid by Archbishop Duhig on 6 April; the new building was blessed and opened as a church by him on 10 August 1913. 

Location

Address:Old Cleveland Road , St Thomas` Catholic Church, Coorparoo, 4151
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.498833
Long: 153.051925
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th March, 2013
Front Inscription

Plaque :

We honour the memory
of Dean Jeremiah 
O'Leary, the Augustinians
and our f
ounding parishioners
who have shaped our Parish over its first 100 years.

Their faith in action inspires and challenges us.

This Centenary Garden was blessed and opened
on Sunday, 17 March 2013,
by Most Rev Mark Coleridge, Archbishop of Brisbane.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design