www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Mary, Queen of ApostlesPrint Page Print this page

22-June-2016
22-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The original bell of the church, named " Mary, Queen of Apostles " commemorates the  Archbishops, Priests, Sisters, Brothers and parishioners who have been associated with the Church of Apostles from 1839 to 1989.

A number of other bells are private memorials dedicated to families.

In 1838 a temporary chapel had been erected in Cameron Street for the local Catholic community, which up to that moment had no fixed place of worship in the city. In the same year the government granted the Catholics a site in Margaret Street, "at the foot of the Cataract Hill", for the construction of a permanent building, a chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph. The foundation stone for the St Joseph's church was laid on 19 March 1839 by Rev. Gentleman, and the church was inaugurated in October 1842.

Two decades later, St. Joseph's Church began to show signs of decay, and it was decided to replace it with a larger church.  The plans for the new church were drawn by the Tasmanian architect Henry Hunter, and the foundation stone was laid on 15 September 1864 by Bishop Willson. By October 1866 the nave and two aisles had already been built, and on the 7th November the church was solemnly opened for religious purposes by Rev. Murphy, Bishop of Hobart. The church was dedicated to Mary, Queen of the Apostles.

Location

Address:44 Margaret Street, Church of the Apostles Catholic Church, Launceston, 7250
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.442773
Long: 147.134011
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Bell
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1839
Approx. Event End Date:1989

Dedication

Front Inscription

 

 

Source: MA,JG
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design