www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sesquicentenary of St John`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page

01-July-2015
01-July-2015
Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The plaque commemorates the sesquicentenary of St John`s Church. St John's church building was officially opened on Sunday 9th April 1843 as Hobart's second Presbyterian congregation.

ST. JOHN'S CHURCH.-The new Presbyterian Church in Macquarie-street was opened last Sunday, when eloquent discourses were deliveredby the Rev. Mr.Lillie in the forenoon, the Rev. Mr. Simson in the afternoon, and the Rev. Mr. Bell in the evening to most respectable and crowded congregations; the collections amounted to about £75. We were agreeably surprised at the neat and handsome manner in which the church finished, it reflects great credit upon all concerned in the undertaking. 
Excerpt from Colonial Times (Hobart), 11 April 1843.

Location

Address:188 Macquarie Street, St John`s Presbyterian Church, Hobart, 7000
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.886786
Long: 147.325295
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:09-April-1843
Actual Event End Date:09-April-1993

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 4th April, 1993
Front Inscription

Presbyterian Church of Australia

To the glory of God

The congregation of St John`s Presbyterian Church Hobart gives thanks for the faithful ministry of the Gospel in this church building for the past 150 years, the Rev. James Bell being the first Minister.

This plaque commemorating the Sesquicentenary was dedicated by the present Minister, the Rev. David N. Jones, on 4th April 1993.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design