www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100th Anniversary of Worship at KirklandsPrint Page Print this page

03-May-2015
03-May-2015
Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The memorial tablet commemorates the 100th anniversary of the worship of God at Kirklands from 1829 to 1929.

The centenary celebration of Presbyterianism at "Kirklands," Macquarie River, took place yesterday. Divine services were conducted at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the beautiful church at Kirklands by the Moderator General of the Presbyterian Church of Australia (Right Rev. Alexander Crow) assisted by Rev. F. E. Yarnell, B.A., minister in charge. There were large congregations at both services, the weather being ideal for the occasion.  During the morning service a fine commemoration tablet was unveiled by the Moderator-General. It was inscribed to commemorate the centenary of the church on the banks of the Macquarie. The speaker in his opening remarks referred to the wonderful spirit of the pioneers and founderers of the church, who came to the island over 100 years ago and who worked so enthusiastically to establish the work of the Presbyterian Church in the midlands.

A wonderful example had been set to the present generation and those to come. The present church had been built evidently to serve the future generations for many years. The beautiful little building: was very conscientiously built, and the utmost simplicity was one of its chief characteristics. The speaker reminded those present that although this was the case, the building was more sacred to the descendants of its founders than a modern church or cathedral would be. A very instructive and inspiring sermon was preached and listened with the utmost attention by the large congregation at the morning service and again at the service during the afternoon.  Rev. F. E. Yarnell in his remarks referred to the presence of the Moderator-General on such an historic occasion, and assured him that they all wished that himself and Mrs. Crow would carry back with them happy recollections of their sojourn at Campbell Town and their travels in the island state. Mr. Yarnell apologised for the absence of the State-Moderator (Rev. Fraser R.A.) who was to have been present, but who was laid aside with illness. A great many visitors from other parts of the state were present to participate in the celebrations. Mr. Lex Finlay presided at the organ. A souvenir in the form of a handsome booklet was distributed to the large congregation setting out a list of the various ministers who had laboured in the church duringthe past 100 years. A list also of the elders was shown. 
Examiner (Launceston, Tas), 12 August 1929. 

Location

Address:Valleyfield Road, Kirklands Presbyterian Church, Campbell Town, 7210
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.889021
Long: 147.393393
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1829
Approx. Event End Date:1929

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 11th August, 1929
Front Inscription

This Tablet Was Erected 
To Commemorate The 100th Anniversary 
Of The Worship Of God 
At Kirklands, Macquarie River 
By The Members And Adherents 
Of The Church Of Scotland 1829 - 1929 
And Was Unveiled By The Moderator General 
Of The Presbyterian Church Of Australia 
The Right Reverend Alexander Crow
August 11th 1929.

For Christ`s Crown 
and Covenant

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design