www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Sisters of MercyPrint Page Print this page

03-May-2015
03-May-2015

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The monument commemorates the centenary of service by the Sisters of Mercy to the Deloraine community from 1895 to 1995.

Our Lady of Mercy Catholic School at Deloraine was opened in February 1895 by a small group of Sisters of Mercy who came from Goulburn in New South Wales. The Sisters ran the school for 101 years but it is now staffed by lay teachers. The Sisters taught both boys and girls from infant to secondary classes. At the beginning of 1897 the Sisters began taking girl boarders. The boarding school operated until 1972. The previous year the secondary section of the school was closed.

Since that time it has been a primary school catering for local children. The first lay principal was appointed in 1996. 

Location

Address:22 West Goderich Street, Catholic Church, Deloraine, 7304
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.525093
Long: 146.650134
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1895
Approx. Event End Date:1995

Dedication

Front Inscription

THE SISTERS OF MERCY
1895 - 1995

      100
   YEARS

To Commemorate
With Sincere Thanks
100 Years Of Dedicated Service
To The Community Of Deloraine

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design