www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of Christ ChurchPrint Page Print this page

02-November-2014
02-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
The stained glass window commemorates the 50th anniversary of the building of Christ Church and is also in memory of the Reverend Parsons, the first incumbent of the church. 

Christ Church at Cullenswood is the legacy of Robert Vincent Legge. Legge arrived in Van Diemans Land in 1827 and shortly after took up a 1200 acre land grant on the Break O’ Day Plains. He named his estate Cullenswood, after his family home in Ireland. Robert Legge was a devout Anglican and in gratitude for his good fortune he built a church at Cullenswood in 1847. Legge also built a rectory and secured its first priest, his nephew, Dr Samuel Parsons.

MEMORIAL WINDOW IN CULLENSWOOD CHURCH.-The stained glass window, towards which many friends of the late Dr. Parsons, of All Saints`, kindly subscribed in Hobart, has recently been imported and erected by Colonel Legge in Christ's Church, Cullenswood. The window has been put up to Dr. Parsons' memory as first incumbent of the church, and to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the building of the edifice. It is a beautiful specimen of Clayton & Bell's work, no pains having been spared by this celebrated firm to make it a fitting companion to their two windows already erected in the same church. It is, if possible, richer in colour and quite equal in artistic rendering of design to the latter. The subject is St. Paul preaching the Gospel, his hearers consisting of four figures, the faces of each presenting a study as regards sentiment and expression, as the group listen to the words of truth falling from the strong-visaged Apostle. Tourists passing St. Mary's way, and who are fond of this class of art, would do well to pay a visit to the little church, which now contains a typical representation of beautiful glass. 
Mercury (Hobart), 25 January 1898.


 

Location

Address:Esk Highway, Christ Church, Cullenswood, 7215
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.57816
Long: 148.143513
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1847
Approx. Event End Date:1897
Designer:Clayton & Bell (London, England)

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1897
Front Inscription

I have fought the good fight 

In affectionate memory of Revd D S Parson  first incumbent of this church

Erected to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the building of the church

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design