www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of St Andrew`s Lutheran ChurchPrint Page Print this page

27-July-2014
27-July-2014
Photographs supplied by John Huth
The Martin Luther window commemorates the 50th Anniversary of St. Andrew`s Lutheran Church. The window was imported from Germany in 1912 for the 50th anniversary of the first church.

The first church on the present site was opened in December 1861 - a wooden structure dedicated as 'Bethlehem' Church. It was replaced in 1882 by a small brick and stone-veneer building, dedicated as 'St Andreas.' The church was slightly enlarged in 1911. St Andrew's was host to the first Convention of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Queensland following its formation in 1885, and became part of the United Evangelical Church in Australia in 1921.

Following the merger in 1975 of the St Andrew's congregation with that of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Fortitude Valley, which had separated from St Andrew's in 1928, the present building was opened on Palm Sunday, 11 April 1976. Designed by architect Barry Walduck, it incorporates the Martin Luther stained-glass window that came from Germany in 1911 for the previous church.

 

Location

Address:25 Wickham Terrace, St Andrew`s Lutheran Church, Spring Hill, 4000
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.464174
Long: 153.028053
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:December-1861
Approx. Event End Date:December-1911

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1912
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design