www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of Van Diemen's Land PresbyteryPrint Page Print this page

08-January-2014
08-January-2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the 150th Anniversary of the foundation of the Van Diemen's Land Presbytery in November 1835.

Since 9th April 1831 in Van Diemen's Land, there have been meetings held by people called together as Presbyterians. On this date the Scottish inhabitants of Launceston met to consider building a place of worship in the colony.

Four years later, on 6th November 1835 the Presbytery of Van Diemen's land became officially established in the Scottish National Church in Charles Street. This Presbytery is the second oldest in Australia.

In 1985, on the occasion of the 150th Anniversary of this event, a memorial plaque was erected near the St. John Street door of the present St. Andrew's Kirk. 

Location

Address:36 St John Street, St Andrew`s Kirk, Launceston, 7250
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.436139
Long: 147.137819
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:06-November-1835
Actual Event End Date:06-November-1985

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1985
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Presbytery of Van Diemen's Land at Launceston on 6th November 1835.

Rev. Dr. John Dunmore Lang  first Moderator

Rev. John Mackersey  first Clerk

Plaque :

Launceston's first Presbyterian Congregation formed 1831

Scotch National Church opened for worship 1833

Foundation stone of this church laid by H. E. Sir William Denison Lieutenant - Governor of Van Diemen's Land  1849

St Andrew`s Kirk opened for worship 1850

Source: MA,JG
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design