www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charleyong BurialsPrint Page Print this page

28-January-2017
28-January-2017

Photographs supplied by Sue Milson

The monument commemorates the people buried at the Charleyong cemetery. In 2002 the Sydney Catchment Authority  agreed to fund a cemetery memorial and in 2007, Palerang Council agreed to place the memorial in the Anglican section of the Braidwood Old General Cemetery.

Charleyong, originally known as Taylor`s village, was a flourishing alluvial mining and agricultural settlement from about 1854 until the early years of the twentieth century. William Taylor`s store at the heart of the settlement, sold general provisions and diggers equipment. There was a butcher next door. In March 1871 the storekeeper also became the Postmaster. The store and Post Office survived until the late 1890`s when, the gold being worked out, miners and their families were leaving the district. The site of Charleyong village and cemetery is situated within lands now owned by the Sydney Catchment Authority. There are 51 burials dated between 1864 and 1904 recorded at Charleyong.

Location

Address:Cowper Street, Braidwood Cemetery, Braidwood, 2622
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.450074
Long: 149.797056
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th January, 2009
Front Inscription

[ Names ]

This memorial records the burials
at the Charleyong cemetery.

This has been a joint project of the
Sydney Catchment Authority, Palerang Council,
Braidwood Cemetery Trust and
the Hon. Wal Fife
to remember those relatives and friends
buried at the Charleyong cemetery.

Left Side Inscription

Charleyong

Charleyong, originally known as Taylor`s village, was a flourishing alluvial mining and agricultural settlement from about 1854 until the early years of the twentieth century.

William Taylor`s store at the heart of the settlement, sold general provisions and diggers equipment. There was a butcher next door. In March 1871 the storekeeper also became the Postmaster. The store and Post Office survived until the late 1890`s when, the gold being worked out, miners and their families were leaving the district. 

The Charleyong Union Chapel and its surrounding cemetery were for the use of the Church of England, Presbyterian, Baptist and Wesleyan / Methodist denominations. Ministers came from Braidwood usually once each monthy to lead services.  The chapel was a wooden building which accomodate 100 or more people.  It was used for some years as a school on weekdays.

The site of Charleyong village and cemetery is situated within lands now owned by the Sydney Catchment Authority.

There are 51 burials dated between 1864 and 1904 recorded at Charleyong.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design