www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Huskies MemorialPrint Page Print this page

29-May-2019
29-May-2019

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The sculpture commemorates the Husky dogs which served on Australian Antarctic Expeditions from 1950 to 1993. The plaque also commemorates 50 years of A.N.A.R.E. from 1947 - 1997. 

Huskies were introduced into the Australian Antarctic program in 1954 at Australia’s first station, Mawson. Strong and willing workers, they were used for travel in the field for almost 40 years. In addition to being a reliable form of transport, huskies provided companionship and loyalty to Antarctic expeditioners.

In 1991, Antarctic Treaty members introduced the Protocol on Environmental Protection which banned all introduced species, except humans, from the Antarctic. In 1992, it was with a great deal of sadness that the last six remaining huskies left Mawson and the Australian Antarctic Territory. The older dogs lived out their days in Australia, while the younger ones enjoyed a new life as working dogs in Minnesota, US.

 

 

Location

Address:203 Channel Highway, Australian Antarctic Division, Kingston, 7050
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.98697
Long: 147.291284
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Animals
Approx. Event Start Date:1950
Approx. Event End Date:1993
Artist:Steve Morvell

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1997
Front Inscription

1947  1997

In recognition of the bravery of the generations of Huskies that endured with and for the men and women of the Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions 1950 - 1993.

We remember the Huskies who served out their lives for the expeditions and the men and women who were the expeditioners during these 50 years of A.N.A.R.E.

ANARE Club 1997     artist : Steve Morvell
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design