www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Heavy Cruiser HMAS ShropshirePrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The Plaque commemorates the personnel who served on the HMAS Shropshire during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by the red poppy in the second image. 

HMS Shropshire was a Royal Navy (RN) heavy cruiser of the London sub-class of County-class cruisers. Completed in 1929, Shropshire served with the RN until 1942, when she was transferred to the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) following the loss of sister ship HMAS Canberra. Commissioned as HMAS Shropshire, the ship remained in RAN service until 1949, and was sold for scrap in 1954.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280169
Long: 149.147612
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st October, 2000
Front Inscription

In memory of 
HEAVY CRUISER HMAS SHROPSHIRE
Pacific Area 1943 - 45
During its service in the Pacific, HMAS Shropshire supported 15
landings and carried out 56 bombardments; destroyed nine shore
batteries and 19 attacking aircraft ; relayed over 90% of air attack
radar warnings to the US 7th Fleet during the liberation of the
Philippines; and engaged a Japanese battleship at Surigao Strait.
Six members of Shropshire`s crew died on active service.
Lest we forget

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design