www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australian Women`s Army Service Lae ContingentPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the Australian Women`s Army Service Lae Contingent 1945 - 1946. The plaque location is indicated by the red poppy in the second image. 

A total of 385 AWAS in Lae served under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Margaret Spencer. They served with First Army headquarters and some supporting units, including in Ordnance and Signals. It was also discovered that unknown to Army authorities, two officers and three sergeants in Intelligence had earlier been moved from Brisbane to Dutch New Guinea in June 1944; once realised, these women were brought back to Lae to serve with the main contingent. A second AWAS contingent was assembled in Queensland for service on Bougainville, but the war ended before they could sail from Australia.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280499
Long: 149.148388
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th October, 2000
Front Inscription

Australian Women`s Army Service
           Lae Contingent
             1945 - 1946
This plaque commemorates the 386 members of the 
Australian Women`s Army Service who served in
Lae, New Guinea, during the Second World War.

The women who served can be justly proud of their
achievements and contribution to the war effort.

  They served their country with pride.  
       We will remember them.

       Dedicated 7 October, 2000

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design