www.monumentaustralia.org.au

4th Australian Infantry BattalionPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 4th Australian Infantry Battalion during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by the red poppy in the second image. 

During the Second World War, the 4th Battalion formed part of the 8th Brigade. Initially the battalion was used as garrison troops in Australia, serving in Western Australia, in early 1944 they were deployed to New Guinea as part of the 5th Division, where they participated in the Huon Peninsula and Aitape-Wewak campaigns, before returning to Australia in early 1946 and were subsequently disbanded.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.279626
Long: 149.147118
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 20th October, 2010
Front Inscription

4th AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION 
                        (AIF) 
                   1939 - 1945

Sio                                Alexishafen
Saidor                           Hansa Bay
Madang                         Awar Point
Western Australia          New Guinea

        For Home And Country

       We Will Remember Them

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design