www.monumentaustralia.org.au

459 Squadron RAAFPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The Plaque commemorates the personnel who served in 459 Squadron RAAF during World War Two. The plaque location in indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 459 Squadron RAAF was a Royal Australian Air Force squadron that operated during World War Two. It was formed in early 1942 and served as a maritime patrol and bomber unit in the Mediterranean theatre until early 1945, operating mainly Lockheed Hudson aircraft. In early 1945, the squadron was transferred to the United Kingdom with the intention of being transferred to RAF Coastal Command and converting to Vickers Wellington bombers; however, due to a series of delays the conversion was not completed and the squadron was disbanded in April 1945.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.279626
Long: 149.147118
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th February, 2005
Front Inscription

                           459
                    SQUADRON
                          RAAF
Hudsons, Venturas, Baltimores
Dedicated To Comrades Killed In The Second World War  
            Formed 1942 - Disbanded 1945

459 Squadron Operated With Distinction With The RAF In The
Eastern Mediterranean And Aegean Areas, And Supported The
                      Italian Campaign

                        Lest We Forget

Dedicated By The 454 - 459 Squadrons Association

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design