www.monumentaustralia.org.au

454 SquadronPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 454 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) during World War Two.

The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 454 Squadron was raised in Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme in mid-1941, but was disbanded shortly afterwards. It was re-formed later in 1941 from mainly British personnel and subsequently took part in the fighting in the Mediterranean and Middle East theatre before being disbanded in August 1945.

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.279626
Long: 149.147118
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:1941
Approx. Event End Date:August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 27th February, 2005
Front Inscription

454 Squadron RAAF
Baltimore Bomber Squadron  
RAF Desert Air Force - Middle East and Italy

To honour comrades killed  
September 1942 - August 1945

454 Squadron conducted day searches in the Eastern Mediterranean in 1942 - 44;

Formation strikes in the Aegean Sea and against the Gothic Line, Italy, in 1944 - 45;

And night attacks in Northern Italy in 1945

Lest We Forget

Dedicated by the 454 - 459 Squadrons Association

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design