www.monumentaustralia.org.au

2nd / 4th Australian Field RegimentPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The plaque commemorates those who served with the 2nd / 4th Australian Field Regiment during World War Two.

The plaque location is indicated by the red poppy in the second image. 

The Regiment was formed on 2 May 1940, as part of the 7th Division  during World War Two. It was involved in campaigns in North Africa, Syria-Lebanon, Salamaua -Lae, the Finisterre Ranges and Borneo.

After training in Victoria, the Regiment deployed to North Africa in late 1940. After being deployed in the defence of Mersa Matruh in Egypt in early 1941, it took part in the fighting against the Vichy French in Syria and Lebanon, before undertaking garrison duties there.

It returned to Australia in early 1942 following Japan's entry into the war, and in September 1943, a small group of artillerymen from the Regiment parachuted with two short 25 Pounder guns in the airborne landing at Nadzab airstrip in New Guinea in support of the US Army's 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment. Later, the Regiment took part in the 7th Division's advance through the Finisterre Range before returning to Australia in early 1944. Its final involvement in the war came around Balikpapan in 1945. After the war, the Regimentwas disbanded on 7 February 1946.

Note: This plaque was dedicated on 26 November 2009 at a ceremony held at the Australian War Memorial. Note that the dedication ceremony for this plaque was rescheduled, and as such differs from the date as inscribed on the plaque.

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.279626
Long: 149.147118
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:02-May-1940
Approx. Event End Date:07-February-1946

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 26th November, 2009
Front Inscription

1940     1945
2 / 4th Australian Field Regiment 
7th Division, AIF

Palestine  Libya
Egypt        New Guinea
Syria         Borneo

The 2 / 4th Field Regiment was formed in 1940 and served with distinction in the Middle East and South-West Pacific.  It is the only Australian artillery unit to have parachuted guns into action.  This was at Nadzab, New Guinea, in September 1943.

Dedicated to all who served  

Lest We Forget

21 October 2009

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design