Leeton & District War Memorial BuildingPrint Page Print this page

The Leeton & District War Memorial Building was erected in memory of those from the district who served in World War Two. The building contains a memorial shrine, honour rolls and books of remembrance for each of the services and is a separate external shrine room within the Leeton Soldiers Club complex.

Leeton and District War Memorial
WORLD WAR II, 1939-1945.  
The central feature of Leeton War Memorial Building is the Memorial Shrine which is now completed and will be officially opened on Anzac Day at 12 noon. Much more time has been taken to complete the building than was anticipated owing to difficulty in obtaining required materials and labour. For the same reason and also because of swiftly rising prices, a considerable part of the building comprising the concert hall and supper room, must stand over until a later stage. Ultimately these units will occupy the space between the Memorial Shrine and the eastern boundary of the site. When the plan is completed, Leeton district will indeed have a magnificent Memorial Building, Their Excellencies the Governor-General of the Commonwealth and the Governor of New South Wales, have both visited and inspected the building now in existence and have been highly complimentary regarding the general excellence of the scheme, its appointments and the enterprise of the citizens for the idea of combining with their Memorial Shrine, a composite recreation centre which will be outstanding in the Commonwealth. 

In planning the Memorial Shrine, emphasis has been placed on simplicity and dignity. The walls are of pale trimmings are in synthetic stone and cream and the ceiling white. The floor finished with tile following a design specially arranged to fit into the main scheme. The Shrine, though a square building, takes on a hexagonal appearance, the entrance being built across one corner and a niche being built into each of the other corners. Each of these niches has been apportioned to and identified with one of the three main services. Navy, Army and Airforce. On the wall of each niche is a marble tablet bearing the names of all those from our district who gave their lives in that particular service. The tablet is surmounted by a large replica of the badge of the service and beneath the tablet is a lectern of silky oak bearing a Book of Remembrance. This book is of hand-made, gilt edged parchment, bound in black morocco and identified by gold lettering and service badge. In the books of remembrance are inscribed, in beautifully executed handwriting, the names of all those who rendered service in each branch of the forces and returned from service. The books will each be kept in a perspex case, thus being preserved and protected whilst at the same time kept within view. Each niche will be enclosed by an ornamental grille fashioned in wrought iron and plated with pure bronze metal and finished to the colour of antique bronze to match the replica service badges. The grilles whilst being decidedly ornamental, will afford protection from possible vandalism, but are fitted with a gate to give access to visitors wishing to examine entries in the Book of Remembrance and will allow entry for cleaning. A central electric lamp is the only lighting. This lamp was a gift from the Leeton Branch of Returned Soldiers' League. It is intended that the centre of the shrine will be occupied by a plate glass case on silky oak stand, to con tain the photographic albums of all our service personnel. It is a matter of great regret that this will not be in place for the official opening. The Trustees have tried every possible avenue and found that silky oak is not at present procurable and nothing else will do. 
The Murrumbidgee Irrigator (Leeton, NSW), 21 April 1950. 


Address:Yanco Avenue & Acacia Avenue East, Leeton, 2705
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.556237
Long: 146.41038
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Source: NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design