www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Women`s Auxiliary Australian Air Force Print Page Print this page

17-March-2015
17-March-2015
Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The plaque commemorates those who served with the Women`s Auxiliary Australian Air Force between 1941 and 1947. 

 

Location

Address:Federal Highway, RAAF Memorial Grove, Majura, 2609
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.211571
Long: 149.190164
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 18th November, 2008
Front Inscription

Women`s Auxiliary Australian Air Force 
WAAF
1941 - 1947     

The WAAF made a major contribution in all areas of the Royal Australian Air Force onmainland Australia during World War II.  This extended to the RAAF Special Wireless Units and Central Bureau Signals Intelligence and code breaking operation in Headquarters South West Pacific.

A decision by the Cabinet in 1941 saw the establishment of the WAAF on the 15th March 1941.  Initial focus was on the essential skills required to support RAAF air and ground operations.  This was broadened to include wireless message intercept and Japanese code breaking operations.

By the time the WAAF was disbanded in June 1947, 27,258 members had served from all States and Territories.  They were employed in one of 73 different musterings, in support of the war effort and defence of Australia.

For the first time, one of Australia`s armed forces (RAAF) employed female technicians and administrative staff who were the subject of Air Force Law, service discipline and secrecy obligations.  This was a major cultural change.

The establishment of the WAAF created a precedent, under strong leadership, equal opportunity values were acknowledged by the Air Board.  The WAAF was in the forefront of measures that brought about a gradual improvement in the status of all servicewomen.

.... 'Our service is their heritage'

WAAF Branch Association (NSW Division)

Dedicated on 18 November 2008




 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design