South Plympton Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

South Plympton Memorial Hall : 11-December-2012
South Plympton Memorial Hall : 11-December-2012
Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

South Plympton Memorial Hall commemorates those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. 

Note: The hall in South Plympton erected in 1928 was known as the Progress Hall. It is unknown by Monument Australia when the name was changed to Memorial Hall. The hall houses the Plympton Glenelg RSL

Progress Hall is the name of building to be erected at Marion road, Plympton Park, by the South Plympton Progressive Society. This afternoon the foundation stone was laid by Mr. A. J. Mesecke, who is president of the society.  Formed on May 18, 1921, when 14 residents met at the home of Mr. H. Holley, William street, Vermont, first officers of the society were Mr. Mesceke (president), Messrs. A. Howcroft (vice president), R. E. Deere (secretary), and E. J. Mesecke (treasurer). In 1925 members decided that the society should build a hall of its own. Various means were adopted for raising funds, chiefly by bazaars, the firsf of which realised £106. The second, yielded £128, and another in November last £114. As a result a block of land was purchased. On this the new hall is being built. Mr. F. Wood, who is a member of the society, is contractor. It is expected that the hall will be ready for use, at the end of November. 
News (Adelaide, SA), 8 September 1928.


Address:464 Marion Road, Plympton Glenelg RSL, South Plympton, 5038
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.970381
Long: 138.555103
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1928
Front Inscription


Source: MA,RVWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design